8229 - IT Support Specialist III
Location: Reston, VA
Under minimal supervision, provide level L2 support for office or business unit users of proprietary or custom application software in a 24/7/365 environment. Position will require occasional work during non-traditional business hours to support change windows, incident response and resolution and other scheduled maintenance activities. Will be trained and required to follow Incident, Change and Problem standards. Individual will gain business and application knowledge through training and resolving Production incidents and inquiries.
Key Job Functions
1. Triage and resolve Production incidents and user requests not resolved by L1 or L1.5 support teams or those directly assigned to the L2 team.
2. Provide on the job training and support to new and junior team members as required.
3. Analyze Production incident and engage business teams(s) to determine impact of incident.
4. Work with team members to identify a work-around if permanent solution cannot be reached in a timely manner.
5. Escalate to team leads in a timely manner when resolution cannot be achieved.
6. Help recreate and test possible solutions and/or workarounds in lower environments prior to implementing in Production.
7. Work closely with Development and Level 3 support staff to identify and resolve incidents and create and implement long term remediation techniques and fixes.
8. Isolate long term issues vs Production incidents and effectively communicate this information to appropriate areas.
9. Create Problem tickets and assign to appropriate teams when necessary
10. Track and monitor the progress of Problem tickets as requested
11. Identify and document known issues and work with L1 / 1.5 to address reoccurrence and the identified workaround activity
12. Work closely with internal team members and other stakeholders to review proposed changes and help devise post implementation verification routines and system health checks.
13. Assist in testing changes in lower environments to ensure solution is as desired.
14. Create and review operational change tickets with senior team members when changes to Production are needed ensuring they are complete, clear and concise.
15. Review operational change tickets with senior team members after they are submitted by other teams to make sure they are complete, clear and concise and meet all requirements of the change standard.
16. Communicate impacts of change to all stakeholders in a timely manner
17. Execute change tickets as assigned including implementing, shaking out and capturing evidence of the successful change.
18. Assist with the setup and configuration of monitoring and alerting for Production applications.
19. Participate in Production Readiness Reviews, take lead during production implementations and participate in Go/No-Go decisions.
20. Help identify additional non-functional requirements that may be needed as applications change.
21. Review TCPs, password change directions, reboot and patching schedules.
22. Coordinate with patch management teams as well as teams involved in infrastructure upgrades.
23. Coordinate emergency changes per standards
24. Work with Development/L3 teams in developing and scheduling on-boarding activities for new initiatives/major enhancements.
25. Provide assistance in maintaining compliance with password resets, access reviews, remediation of Operational Incidents and MSIs.
26. Assist in documenting remediation steps for operational incidents and/or an MSI.
27. Engage with management, risk and compliance teams as needed.
28. Assist in creating, running or modifying standard and/or customized reports as requested.
Job Function Descriptor: Work is generally moderate in scope and complexity. Knowledge, when gained, is applied to resolve routine and non-routine incidents, as necessary. Works under moderate supervision.
Bachelor Degree or Equivalent
Area of Study Computer Science or IT/IS preferred
6-8 years of related experience
Specialized Knowledge & Skills
Must have previous production support experience; ideally in 24x7 rotation
Strong written and oral communication skills
Ability to lead technical discussions between stakeholders
Working knowledge of the following:
Remedy, ServiceNow or other ticketing system
UNIX command line and UNIX scripting
Autosys job management for scheduling, monitoring and reporting
Middleware technologies such as Weblogic, JBOSS, Apache Global Load Balancers
Experience in support various phases of SDLC (Waterfall or Agile)
Demonstrable knowledge of ITIL and or Service Management
Nice to have skills/experience:
Prior Financial Services experience
Prior Informatica/MDM experience
Reporting Tools (Business Objects, Excel, Tableu)
ITIL Foundation certification
Prior experience working with Agile development shops and use of Agile tools and techniques such as KANBAN and SCRUM