Systems Admin / Netezza DBA III
Location: Reston, VA
- The client is seeking a Systems Administrator/DBA III to be responsible for the administration of core systems as well as monitoring and repair of high performance computing systems. Ensures consistent and reliable operation including enterprise servers and network infrastructure.
- Managing the entire Netezza footprint of 50+ racks from an infrastructure perspective (hardware/software/network/storage/OS), pre-empt, circumvent and recover from infrastructure issues.
- Perform backup and restore activities, database performance analysis, capacity planning, system sizing and ongoing maintenance/tuning to ensure maximum performance on Netezza appliance platform
- Use the NzAdmin/NZMigrate tool for typical administrative tasks, including Genstats, Groom, and manage Development to Production environments
- Works closely with Developers, Testers, Architects, Business Analysts and other IT staff to implement System and Database Administration standards, policies, methods, and procedures building consensus with all parties.
- Assist application development teams with planning and implementing database changes as well as query/job optimization, Database related-releases/upgrades/dbmod.
- Work closely with IBM support to manage hardware/software failures, appliance upgrades and install patches
- Troubleshoots database problems, including slow running queries.
- Participate in after-hours on-call duties as requested, manage workload via prioritization and Leankit, document discovered procedures on SharePoint,
- Apply Automation, Metrics, Tooling and Best Practices as required.
- Develop Big Data integration and data warehouse best practices.
- Deliver measurement and improvement of all aspects of the availability of infrastructure services to match/exceed SLA’s.
- Monitors service component capacity and initiates actions to resolve any shortfalls according to agreed procedures. Applies techniques to modify demand for a particular resource or service.
- Initiates immediate and permanent resolution to incidents with systems and services, by coordinating the efforts of the resolution with vendors, application and business teams.
- System engineering and administration experience in a Netezza appliance environment with substantial knowledge of Unix/Infrastructure including Servers, Network, SAN technologies, I/O subsystems.
- Linux system administration including troubleshooting, configuration, networking, server administration/management, security, monitoring, tuning, capacity planning, backup/recovery, service pack/hot fix/patch install, vendor support liaison, coordination with technical staff at all levels.
- Must have strong programming/scripting languages such as Perl, Python, Bash or standard development tools
- Infrastructure domain knowledge: DNS, NFS, TCP/IP, Clustering/High Availability. Under-the-hood Kernel insight methodologies: tcpdump, strace and system call tracers.
- 5+ years of experience in a Netezza environment with at least 2+ years as a DBA.
- 3+ years of additional experience working in data warehousing and business intelligence tools, techniques and technology is strongly desired
- Expert knowledge of Netezza appliance (TwinFinn and Mako) systems- Architecture and system internals, including updates and features on new versions
- At least 5+ years of SQL programming and Performance Tuning experience
- Expert level experience in administering large databases in mission critical environment
- Extensive experience with different backup/restore and disaster recovery solutions
- Excellent Communication skills, strong teamwork and organization skills
- Positive attitude, problem solving skills and self-initiative are must-have qualities