System Administrator Senior (Unix)
Location: McLean, VA
Responsible for and expected to 24x7 administering, configuring, troubleshooting and supporting Unix servers in production and non-production environments running Unix operating Systems namely Solaris10,11, AIX 6.x and RedHat Linux 6.x,7. x. The individual must have Strong scripting skills to automate day to day systems administration, configuration management tasks. He or she must have working knowledge of ZFS, Solaris Logical Volume Manager, Linux Logical Volume Manager, Unix security, high Availability, NAS/SAN and VMWARE Cluster concepts. Individual Should demonstrate very good customer service attitudes and interactive skills while dealing with senior customer personnel on significant technical matters frequently requiring coordination across organizational lines.
• Responsible for administration, configuration, troubleshooting and support of server environments running Operating Systems Solaris 10-11, AIX 6.x and RedHat Linux.
• Writing and managing scripts and utilities to automate day to day systems administration and configuration management tasks.
• Possessing strong network knowledge and skilled in network protocols such as TCP/IP and DNS, DHCP. Hands on with Server installs, rack/stack, storage configuration (NAS, SAN).
• Provides resolutions to an extensive range of complicated problems. Solutions are innovative, thorough, and practicable.
• Works under limited direction independently determines and develops approach to solutions. Work is evaluated upon completion for quality and adequacy in satisfying objectives.
• Represents the organization as the principal customer contact on contracts and often performs project leadership role. Interacts with senior customer personnel on significant technical matters frequently requiring coordination across organizational lines.
• Responsible for Unix Systems administration, configuration, troubleshooting, upgrades and support in heterogeneous server environments running under various Operating Systems including AIX, Red Hat Linux, Oracle (Sun) Solaris. Responsible for installing, configuring and maintaining IBM p Series, x86 and SPARC Servers including virtualized servers.
• Perform regular day-to-day Systems Administration activities such as User Administrations, Disk Management, Package Install, Patch Management, Storage Management, NFS Administration and disaster recovery/fail-over exercises.
• Responsible for MPIO/DMP configuration for SAN disks using native OS or third party EMC Power path, VERITAS MPIO drivers on Linux and Solaris Servers. Identify, analyze, fix, and determine root cause, follow-up and coordinate changes to resolve complex problems involving hardware, software, networking and applications.
• Monitor and ensure adequate security for hosts and tightened file system access control.
• Responsible for regular backup and restore operations for AIX, Linux and Solaris Systems using Tivoli Storage Manager. Identify, control, maintain and verify OS baseline configurations and manage server resources and predict the need for additional capacity in advance.
• Install and configure various enterprise wide infrastructure tools including automation tool, job scheduler, authentication and authorization software, and backup tools on AIX, Linux and Solaris Servers.
• Quickly restore service during system outages, provide troubleshooting support to team members, perform proactive problem prevention, and escalate technical details to technical lead and/or to vendor support.
• Write technical documentation, operational procedures, systems documentation and Incident and problem communications and reporting.
• Assist with the monitoring performance analysis of existing applications and ensuring that the system is consistent with ongoing need.
• Take part in after-hours on-call rotation schedule and weekend activities as required.
• Strong knowledge with software and hardware RAID, Logical Volume Manager, Solaris LDOMs, Solaris Zones, ZFS.
• SAN/NAS Concepts and working knowledge of those technologies.
• High level of problem solving and conflict resolution capabilities.
• Experience in building and managing Disaster Recovery and it’s concepts.
• College Degree or equivalent experience; advanced studies/degree preferred.
• 8 years of related professional experience.
• Professional certifications in Operating Systems namely AIX, Solaris and Linux is a plus.
• Experience in managing Virtual machines in VMWARE Virtual environment
• Managing big data and grid cluster software Horton works, IBM Platform Symphony, LSF.